NSC is looking for communications & events volunteer
NSC News | Tuesday, 20 September 2016 |
Two month commitment starting in week beginning 1 October, 2016
One day a week (or the equivalent hours)
Based in Finsbury Park, London but some work could be done from home
Þ Are you interested in Nicaragua and issues affecting Latin American as a whole, particularly climate change?
Þ Do you have strong organisational and communication skills?
Þ Are you looking for experience working in a small NGO?
Þ Are you based in Greater London area and willing to commit to one day per week?
If you answered yes to all these questions, then this might be the role for you!
Key areas of work October – November, 2016
- Producing a briefing on Nicaragua, climate change and climate justice highlighting the impact of climate change on Nicaragua; mitigation, adaptation and renewable energy programmes of the Nicaraguan government and NGOs; and why and how Nicaragua is taking a leading role internationally in highlighting the urgent need for a greater sense of political will and urgency on the part of the biggest polluters
- Organising a speaker tour 19 – 28 November to highlight the above, to meet UK activists campaigning against climate change, and to take part in a Latin America conference on 26 November in London
- Producing the autumn issue of our publication Nicaragua Now due out mid November
Role of communications and events volunteer
To promote and provide administrative and logistical support for the above speaker tour and NSC involvement in the Latin America conference on 26 November
To assist in the production and promotion of the above mentioned briefing and Nicaragua Now
- To assist in researching and creating content relating to news from Nicaragua and UK-Nicaragua solidarity news for posting on the website and social media
- § Commitment to the aims of NSC
- § Sound English reading, writing and speaking skills
- § Ability to use own initiative
- § Sound organisational, administrative skills
- § Knowledge of the using the social media as a promotional tool
- § Excellent IT skills
- § Able to commit to two month’s volunteering, one day per week.
- § Some knowledge of Nicaragua/Latin America
A reading knowledge of Spanish would be an advantage
The placement will be for two months from the week of 1 October, 2016. Ideally the volunteer will be able to commit to one day per week.
What we can offer
- § Comprehensive induction into the work of NSC
- § Support and supervision from NSC staff members
- § A friendly work environment
- § The opportunity to learn and develop your communication skills.
- § The opportunity to get some experience of organising events
- § Lunch allowance of £3.50 and travel expenses within the Greater London Area
How to apply:
Please send the following to Helen on firstname.lastname@example.org
Þ A brief cover letter explaining why you would like to volunteer for NSC, how you meet the person specification, and what you hope to get out of volunteering with NSC
Deadline for applications: 29 September